Recently, all of the businesses under New Heaven pledged with Fin Free Thailand to ensure that shark products are never sold here, and that we actively campaign for the protection of sharks. We are proud to join with other businesses and resorts across Thailand in this campaign, which is being locally led by the FREELAND Foundation, Love Wildlife Foundation, and Change.org Thailand.
Under this pledge we affirm that we will never sell any shark related products at New Heaven Dive School, Baan Talay Resort, New Heaven Resort, and Koppee Bakery. Additionally, all of those locations will also actively promote to consumers and guests about shark awareness and the environmental costs of shark fishing and trade.
But it doesn’t end there for us, through the New Heaven Reef Conservation Program we are also undertaking the following activities:
- Performing regular shark monitoring surveys in areas around the island
- Teach short shark ecology courses to increase awareness about the importance of sharks and global threats to their populations
- Joining the Thailand eShark Project to promote awareness and assist them in their local efforts
- Providing information and facts about sharks in Thailand on our website to promote awareness
- Reporting any shark related problems we see around the island to the Department of Fisheries and the Save Koh Tao Community Group
We hope you join us in protecting our planet’s shark populations, and be sure to follow along with some of the amazing photographs and research work being done by NHRCP Co-Director, Shin Arunrugstichai, as he studies shark populations around the country.